One of the main reasons I started this blog is to help out all the other Cabin Crew hopefuls out there.
I know for one that prior to my AD (Assessment Day) and FI (Final Interview) I went crazy looking up all the possible questions and scenarios I could face. What I found was mostly the same old “Be yourself” rubbish.
My advise is “Do NOT be yourself” ! Be whatever The Airline wants you to be. Which is to be consistent with their brand. Classy, expensive looking, cosmopolitan. Or as they like to call it a “Globalista”.
Let’s take it from the top :
- Outfit – dress with a KISS in mind ( Keep It Simple and SIMPLE!) . When I say simple I do mean SIMPLE! As clean cut as possible. A black pencil skirt, white fitted shirt, black court shoes. Couple of girls from “my” AD showed up in mini skirts or revealing vests (!). One girl was even wearing a pair of these bad boys:
Needless to say she didn’t make it thru. The recruitment officers don’t care if it’s Louboutin – it’s not coherent with The Airline and you are out.
- Make-up – Remember you are there to get a job not to get laid. I suggest to look up the typical high flying girl. Flawless skin, black eyeliner and red lipstick. Again very simple.
Please I beg you – NO fake eyelashes and/or fake tan. Only 3 girls out of 15 made it to the final stage of our assessment. And the one thing that set us 3 (visually) apart from the rest was that we all looked very natural. Pretty but natural that’s what you are aiming for.
- Appear to Appeal – I had one rule, that I think helped a hell of a lot throughout my AD and FI. I call it the “SSS rule” – Sit up Straight and Smile. Whatever happens.
- Miss Perfect Stewardess – I have a one great friend to thank for this part (Thank you Babs, you are the best). She knows me well. She knows I talk to much, am very opinionated and laugh out loud. On the night before my AD she said to me: ” Do not do any of that!” She had a point. When you think about it- have you ever seen a stewardess arguing with a passenger over politics? Or rolling on the floor laughing? Or talking over someone? No? Didn’t think so.
So leave Little Miss Bossy at home. Together with Miss Chatty, Miss Overly Friendly and Miss Mute. Bring Miss Perfect Stewardess with you. The one that smiles a lot, talks quietly only when she ‘s got something to say. Always asks for other people’s opinions. Leaves others to take charge but doesn’t let them walk over her. She is gonna get you the job. Don’t you just love her already?
- Be a Star– You are gonna get asked questions. After all this is an interview. But not only that. You are also gonna be watched when on your breaks interacting with others. So research The Airline and their branding , look into their routes , history, management . I’m sure you did anyway when you applied for the job. And then shine, show off what you remember. Make sure one of the officers is around the turn to the person next to you and say ” Have you heard they are opening a new route to Phuket in Thailand? Wouldn’t be great to get it a your first supply flight?” or something along those lines. You get the gist.
That’s pretty much it. At least that’s what I did . And it seemed to have been enough.
Good luck to everyone, see in Dubai (or maybe even Phuket:)